Tuesday, March 17, 2015

An Elegant Egg

I've always been fascinated by Faberge eggs, with their incredible craftsmanship, elaborate detail and luscious colors. And I've always wanted to try creating them with stitches (since the chances of ever owning a REAL one are totally non-existent!) 

So here's one I've stitched for this season, called IMPERIAL EGG I:


I wanted to try replicating the enamel patterns used by Faberge on his eggs, but instead of using precious jewels, I would use my needle and thread with easy stitch patterns (this egg has a simple bargello pattern), and subtle variegated silk threads (for the egg and ecru ribbon border).  Add a elegantly pale background pattern and some discrete vintage gold sparkle, and you have a very fun project to stitch up for the Spring season.



I've worked this egg on 24 ct Congress Cloth, and the finished size of the whole design is 6.5" wide by 8" tall.... Not too small - not too large -- just right!  I chose to create a mauvey-pink egg (with Waterlilies 249 - "Geranium"), but it can certainly be worked in any favorite color. To change the colors, you just need to pick out 2 skeins of a Waterlilies silk thread, a matching solid-color silk, and a matching metallic ribbon thread.

If you want to try creating your own Faberge egg, please visit my website to see more of information on this new IMPERIAL EGG I.





2 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

She's lovely! Of course I adore pink and Faberge eggs. I hope the title means there are more eggs on the drawing board....

zenuwpees said...

Magnifique broderie j'aime beaucoup bonne journée Marie-Claire