Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What ARE Those Flowers?

I know some of you are going to ask about the stitched flowers on my masthead this month.

Those are anemones - a spring bulb you may be seeing in your area about now. They come in the most vibrant colors of pink, white, and periwinkley purple (a perfect match for DMC 333!) with a jet-black center button. I love them (well, I love most all flowers, really.)


The purple ones are my most favorite...although the red and white ones are darn cute, too. Here's another up-close view:


When I started stitching flowers, I was trying to replicate the flowers as realistically as possible, just using canvaswork stitches. If you look closely, you'll see that all the petals are stitched with the same pattern, but the stitch direction changes on each petal. That creates a light change as well, so the petals have the silky satin look of real flower petals and give the illusion of being stitched in different colors. Then I outlined them with a backstich in 1 ply DMC floss 310 to give them crisp, sharp edges.

I did several of my favorite flowers in this style (Dianthus, Amaryllis, Pansies, California Poppies, to name a few). The above pattern can be found in my Secret Garden Collection and is called ANEMONES. It is worked on 25 ct Congress Cloth with DMC floss.

No comments: