Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Indian Summer


I don't know what the weather is like in your neck of the woods, but here in Healdsburg, Indian Summer has definitely arrived. The days are bright and sunny, the air has the tangy snap that reminds me of apple cider, and the light thru the trees is as golden as poured honey.

A few years ago, I designed the above quilt pattern, INDIAN SUMMER. It's been a very popular pattern with stitchers. I can't decide if it's because of the colors -- or the intricate pattern. Probably both. Anyway, it's one of the designs I never get tired of looking at. [And I must confess, I just love those "wild geese" triangles; they've always been my favorite quilt patterns... And since this design combines those triangles with the ever-popular "lone star" how can any stitcher or quilter resisit it?!?]

Anyway, it occurred to me that it would be fun to design a companion piece to it, using the same variegated thread (Watercolours' "Rainforest"). Here's what that new piece looks like so far:


You can see how I stitch up these models: first, I work all the variegated and solid pearl colors; after the colors are balanced to my satisfaction, I switch my focus to the background colors. [Really, it's just like creating a fabric quilt: first, you focus on creating the pieced quilt top; then, you decide which quilting pattern you will put on top of your quilt -- thus these stitched quilts have the same multi-dimensional effect as a real quilt... except with stitching, we have the added pleasure of the changing light on the directional sheen of pearl cotton threads.] You can see in the lower areas that I've started stitching the intersecting diamond shapes in a darker gold floss. I'll work all the darker gold areas next; then everything that's left will be filled with the final light gold floss color.

I create all my quilt designs that way: focusing on each type of thread at a time. I guess I prefer counting out all the main parts of the quilt first; then when I get to stitching the background areas, I don't have to do that much counting -- it's basically just filling in the blank spots. That makes it easy to stitch while watching tv or stitching in a group when you can talk and stitch at the same time!

Oh, yeah....I'm calling this design: INDIAN AUTUMN. And as you can see, I'm on the home stretch...just have to finish the background and then I'll be ready to write up the instructions for this pattern.

7 comments:

Coni said...

SPECTACULAR! I especially love being able to look over your shoulder as you create...it will REALLY make stitching this fun! I need to get back to my Indian Summer...maybe this weekend while it's 60 degrees!

Anonymous said...

Laura, beautiful as usual with your designs. Now that you will have a companion I will need to add that to my ever growing stash! Love the colors, and it is Indian Summer here in Alabama as well. Such a beautiful blue, clear sky. I wish I could capture it in a jar and bring it out on those grey winter days.

Carol

Anonymous said...

L. I love these designs they remind me of the quilts that my mother makes. And "rainforest" is my favorite color.

Anonymous said...

I adore Indian Summer! All my favorite colors. I have a small canvas design to work on (my first!) Once I finish and have a chance to practice, I'll be debating over which of your beautiful designs I'll want to stitch first...

Theresa said...

Both of these designs are just gorgeous!! I love the colors!!!

Karol said...

Looks wonderful! Can not wait to see the completed design.

NCPat said...

It is autumn! We just returned from Michigan with some great apple cider in tow!