Saturday, October 25, 2008

Feeling A Little Batty?


It's that time of year when stitchers start to get a little batty... or even a little witchy... Yup. It's that wonderfully purple and orange time of year: HALLOWEEN!

Time for all us stitchers to look thru our stashes and pull out our fun Halloween canvases.... or grab those purple, orange and lime green threads and start to work on a fun and/or spooky stitching project!

In keeping with the spirit of the season, I've posted a free little Halloween project on my website: www.ljperindesigns.com under the FREE PATTERNS page. It's my CATS & BATS freebie. Check it out!


Here's the story about this little bat: A few years ago, when I was going to local quilt and craft shows, I would design a little freebie handout for the shoppers passing by my booth. I made this little bat design into a pin that I could wear (I turned it on point, and added a pin back). It was a very fun and easy project. Other stitchers even stitched just the outer border, and then added a fun fimo, porcelain, or wood button in the center - a very cool way to show off a special Halloween button!

I stitched this 3" x 3" design on lavender 18 ct. canvas, but any color would work. And while I used #5 pearl cottons, you could also use 3-4 ply of floss if you prefer.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the pattern with you (there's also a black cat that you can stitch in the center, if you prefer cats to bats)....so you too can whip up a new little project just in time for Halloween!

2 comments:

Cyn said...

Hi Laura,

Earlier I found your "Cats and Bats" freebie and since I love fun Halloween projects, I printed off the directions. I gathered up the supplies this past week and I was planning on starting today. I wasn't going to post anything on my blog until I had made a start and hopefully a finish this weekend. :-)

I'm planning on starting on this project later this afternoon. Yep, right after I run two teenage (17) girls all around town for a few hours. They are great kids but I think I'll be sufficiently batty by the end of the day to work on a bright Halloween project! :-)

I'll let you know when I've made some progress and I can share an entry on my blog.

Thanks for creating this freebie and sharing it with us. I've been looking forward to stitching on it all week!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Anonymous said...

What terrific Halloween designs. Thank you for putting them out there for us!
Nancy